The Noxubee County Historical Society (NCHS)
was established in 1967
Our mission is to gather, preserve, and share the history of Noxubee County
Noxubee is one of the oldest counties in the state of Mississippi. The County was authorized by the Mississippi state legislature in 1833, after the indigenous Choctaw Nation surrendered its lands to the U.S. government in the 1830 Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. The Treaty, signed at Noxubee, required the Choctaw to relinquish almost one-third of north-central Mississippi in exchange for their removal to Oklahoma. It was a signal treaty that induced the historically documented "Trail of Tears."
The Noxubee County seat is Macon, which is located 126 miles northeast of the Mississippi state capital in Jackson. It is 35 miles from Starkville (home of Mississippi State University); 32 miles from Columbus (home of the Mississippi College for Women); and 25 miles from the Alabama state line. Surrounding counties include Winston, Lowndes, Kemper, Neshoba and Oktibbeha.
Noxubee County has a total land area of 700 square miles = 695 square miles land; 4.6 square miles water.
According to the 2010 U.S. census, the Noxubee County population was 11,545 (71.6% Black; 27.1% White; 0.8% Latino; 0.2% Asian; 0.2% Native American; 0.4% some other race; 0.5% two or more races).
Per capita income for Noxubee County in 2010 was $12,018. Median household income was $22,330. Median income for a family was $27,312. Approximately one-third of the population (individuals and families) live below the poverty line.
Noxubee is a thriving agricultural area. Farmers grow cotton, corn and soybeans and raise beef cattle, sheep, pigs and catfish. There is heavy yellow pine forestation and wildlife is abundant.